Thursday, April 2, 2009

David's Persepolis Blog Week Five: Snippets

On page 318, I thought that Marjane Satrapi did an excellent job of looking at two perspectives. In some ways, I feel that the panels can be considered as parodoxes because both women are married, but one agrees with everything her husband says while the other does not want to do that. Two examples that I saw that were similar to this snippet were on pages 104 and 193. It could be stated that those pages are more similar than page 318 because there is usage of telephones. The only difference between the two is that one has a black background with people mourning and the other has Marjane talking to her parents with a white background signifying happiness.

2 comments:

  1. I beleive on page 318, instead of a paradox, the frame is more like a juxtoposition. The two frames are opposites, and show the two sides of marrage. However I do agree that Marjane's text is a paradox that contradicts what she is saying in some respects. I think everybody goes through these emotions with relationships, where you find you need to be their "soulmate."
    I like your idea of the telephone. Maybe this is a motif that symbolizes something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call Megan (and David). Do you have a favourite example of a paradox?

    ReplyDelete